Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Metro toy train…real life connect

Was interesting to read the news about Delhi Metro launching its toy train considering the market around. Even more interesting was the news that Metro train - toy was quite popular among children. Something they saw in real life and then emulated it as a toy. I always missed the real life connect in toys since childhood.

Toy cars never really were my interest in childhood. While my friends were busy flaunting there new ‘Hot Wheels’- I was happy with building blocks. The limos never fascinated me, I never saw them on the road in real life.

None of the vehicles which I saw on the road were available as toys- No Fiat, No Ambassador (The cars of my childhood). And foremost, none of my favourite Indian LP trucks- a vehicle I wished to possess. Instead the western trailer trucks were all around in the market.

Generations of children have grown up ever since with the westernized limos. Vroooom…

Years later… I was really awestruck last winter, to see the toy version of our very own CNG auto rickshaw of Delhi. The toy was an amazing piece of work. The thing had been made to the finest details with the fare meter, the tags of Green Delhi etc. right in place- well researched!

Finally there was a toy car err… auto, which was Indian in look and feel- one I could identify with.

Just loved it – picked up immediately and put it on my workstation. Glad that Indian automobiles were now being put forth as toys to our children. An auto is something any child in Delhi can identify with.

Wondered whether it would be bought by middle class children to sustain itself in the market. Doubts vanished when I saw the auto perched on top of the book shelf in Sunita Narain’s office. At least similar minded adults were in for it- the product would survive.

Then started my search for an Indian LP Tata toy truck . The hunt led me to the bye lanes of various locales in Delhi and the country but couldn’t find any. After much research, I got a very crudely finished Tata truck at a roadside shop in Mehrauli. Can’t tell you my joy- Its still there on my workstation. Not too happy about the details- no quotes on the bumper.

Last week’s visit to the local toy shop, swept me off my feet - the ‘new products shelf’ had a range of Indian automobiles, I had never thought of. But somebody was thinking.

Out there was the ‘well researched’ LP truck. Apart from that was the utility jeep carrier, the three wheeler load carrier- all of them- from the same company which produced the autos. Surely, the auto was a hit with the kids. Also present was a range of Indian cars – Maruti van, 800, Santro, Ford Ikon and what not.

But our very own CNG DTC bus is still missing from the list and children have to make do with the sleek British buses. Anybody listening! It will sell like hot cakes. Apart from children, environmentalists would buy it to promote public transport. The Metro toy train is anyways a hit.


Dated- 20/11/2011 - Now I have found my craze reach the T3 Delhi international Airport. Saw this at the first shop at the domestic departure.


No comments:

Post a Comment