Monday, August 16, 2010

The T3 experience: Prayer rooms



Heard a lot…read a lot about the new T3 terminal at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. Recently got my first experience of it.
Well…it certainly wasn’t a WOW! effect. It was ok. Yes…it does match up to international standards to a great extent.
But the thing which I liked most and noticed was the special prayer rooms at the airport. Never seen or lets say noticed prayer rooms at any of the international airports…I have been to.
Thought…might as well go and see…what a prayer room looks like.
A well carpeted room with some books lying there…(Kurans…Some Mullaji must have left there). There were some stands to keep the book open to read it. Interestingly, someone had indicated the direction of Kaba on the wall.
It felt nice that a space had been created for prayers…for reading namaz (I thought in my head)
Later…I shared the same with my wife. She felt irritated that a place had been created to do namaaz. She said why cant a person do Hindu prayers or read the Bible.
And instantly…I said “ who said it is for namaaz. Anybody could pray there. Its called a prayer room. Its just that a lot of Muslims actually do pray and do the namaaz. And a lot of Hindus or Christians don’t …or rather do”
There was a thought going on in my mind of an airport being a secular place. But then…when you can have smoking rooms at airports…why not prayer rooms. After all smoking is despised in all religions.

Way to go T3.

Second thoughts: I just saw that the symbol for the prayer room resembles the Islamic posture for praying. But..still I don’t think its reason enough to edit what I have written above.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a seperate prayer room for women.

9 comments:

  1. Hi there

    I think that many nonmuslims dont realise, is that the prayer rooms are not really for the indigineous minority, its for the international travellers. there are 1.5 billion muslims in the world, and if you want to be a major airport connecting middle east and south east asia, (areas with large muslim popullations) its easier to have a dedicated room then having people pray in corners and in the main areas. Its the same reason that Heathrow has a prayer room in UK, even though the muslim population is only 3%

    just my two pennies, nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice post .. and I think it's convenient for people who pray regularly make airport experience great to visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. its for all regius not only for some special hindu muslim sikh isai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Located near gate number 27-28.
    Separate rooms for males and females.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this a room I could do yoga practices in which involve breath work and chanting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice. and I think it's convenient for people who pray regularly make airport experience great to visit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maa Shaa Allah it's a great initiative by the AAI and IGI Airport authority.

    ReplyDelete