Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The matinee show

A few months ago I was in Amritsar. With my worldly matters finished by noon and an evening Shatabdi to catch- had a few hours to kill all by myself. A film at the nearest cinema hall seemed to be the best option- would have loved company.

Caught a rickshaw to the nearest theatre. Being the garrulous kind,ly struck a conversation with the Rick guy about where he lived and the discussion meandered. In a few minutes we were at the place.

Just as I got down to pay the rick guy – I asked him out of the blue, “Do you watch movies?” He said “No sir”. “Why?” I asked. “If I watch movies, where will I find the time to run my rickshaw and earn money”

He had a point and I had no answer for that.

Suddenly, an idea struck me. I said “Why don’t you come with me to watch the movie?” He was a bit taken aback. I said “Seriously I mean it.” After some deliberation he was on board. He parked his rickshaw at the car park and I grabbed two tickets for the balcony as the security guard watched , highly amused.

The guards gaze seemed to question my intelligence and sanity. Getting in the hall with a rickshaw wala was a different feeling – a mixture of philanthropy, embarrassment and adolescent excitement. We were wearing the shirt of the same colour, though he had the long towel to wipe his sweat after pulling a tough ride.

It was interesting to note his reactions to buying popcorn and looking at people around. “Accha theatre hai” he said. “Used to watch a lot of films,after bunking school. Everything stopped once I got married. Had to earn money and raise kids”. We continued discussing his school life as we entered the hall.

The movie was hardly entertaining - Both of us didn’t like it. “There were no songs, no action. Bakwaas” he said. It was a horror film.

After the show the guy dropped me at the Railway station, right in time for the Shatabdi. I paid him for his service and we both went our own ways.

Watching a movie is a regular affair for me but this movie was different both for me and for him, I guess. But must admit, the real life movie was more interesting than that on the screen. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment